Cinnamon is one of my favorite baking spices. I especially love the smells that fill my house when making cinnamon filled baked goodies. Cinnamon rolls were one of my favorite treats before I became gluten free over 10 years ago.
This recipe had a lot of trial an error. I have made this dough using a variation of many different types of GF flours. I finally came up with a muffin style. This is so much easier and less mess to deal with. It always seemed like such a long endeavor for something my family could devour in 5 seconds. Dough prep took forever, and using all the saran wrap to keep sticking down. Oh yeah, and refrigerating the dough so it is less sticky. Enough I said! I wanted an easier recipe that still had all those wonderful flavors and textures that a cinnamon roll does, but with less prep time.
My kids did not care what form factor these were in, only that they were “delicious” according to my biggest fans. They still devoured them quickly, but my efforts were cut in half. I love that!
Enjoy these treasures, with less work and a mouthwatering delight for your taste buds!
Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Muffin Style
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cook time||20 minutes|
|Total time||40 minutes|
|Dietary||Casein Free, Dairy Free|
|Misc||Breakfasts, Child Friendly|
|Occasion||Casual Party, Easter|
|By author||Melissa Belser|
- 11/2 Cups tapioca flour/starch
- 1/2 Cup millet flour
- 3/4 Cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 Cup Expandex flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 Cup almond beverage (used Silk, unsweetened)
- 4 Tablespoons pure honey (reserve 1 T. for proofing yeast)
- 1 Tablespoon bakers active dry yeast
- 3 Ounces margarine or butter (melted)
- 1 Large egg
- 4 Ounces organic applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar (for filling)
- 11/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon (for filling)
- 2 Tablespoons margarine (softened for filling)
- 1/2 Cup toasted pecans (for filling)
For powdered sugar icing: 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 Tablespoon water, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over Cinnamon Roll Muffins.
I used organic sugars in this recipe.